My research focuses on close relationships (especially romantic relationships), behavioral health (especially weight control, smoking, and physical activity), and neuroimaging (particularly fMRI). I conduct basic research in each of these areas as well as more applied research in the overlaps. For example, I conduct applied close relationships research on how self-expansion (both at the social and individual level) and other social processes affect overall health and health behaviors.
I am also interested in these areas in the context of individual differences (e.g. factors such as trait self-control) as well as development over time (e.g. aging, as a romantic relationship progresses).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Xu, X., Wang, J., Lei, W., Aron, A., Westmaas, L., & Weng, X. (2012). Intense passionate love attenuates cigarette cue-reactivity in nicotine-deprived smokers: An fMRI study. PLoS ONE, 7(7), e42235. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042235
- Riela, S., Rodriguez, G., Aron, A., Xu, X., & Acevedo, B. P. (2010). Experiences of falling in love: Investigating culture, ethnicity, gender, and speed. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 27(4), 473-493.
- Alosco, M. L., Gunstad, J., Jerskey, B. A., Clark, U. S., Hassenstab, J. J., Xu, X., Poppas, A., Cohen, R. A., & Sweet, L. H. (2013). Left atrial size is independently associated with cognitive function. International Journal of Neuroscience, 123, 544-552.
- Leahey, T. M., Xu, X., Unick, J. L., & Wing, R. R. (2013). A preliminary investigation of the role of self-control in behavioral weight loss treatment. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice.
- Xu, X., Brown, L., Aron, A., Acevedo, B., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2012). Regional brain activity during early-stage intense romantic love predicted relationship outcomes after 40 months: An fMRI assessment. Neuroscience Letters, 526, 33-38.
- Darlow, S. D., & Xu, X. (2011). The influence of close others’ exercise habits and perceived social support on exercise. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12, 575-578.
- Jagiellowicz, J., Xu, X., Aron, A., Aron, E., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2010). The trait of sensory processing sensitivity and neural responses to changes in visual scenes. SCAN: Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. Advanced online publication.
- Xu, X., Floyd, A. H. L., Westmaas, J. L., & Aron, A. (2010). Self-expansion and smoking abstinence. Addictive Behaviors, 35, 295-301.
- Xu, X., Aron, A., Brown, L., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2011). Reward and motivation systems: A brain mapping study of early-stage intense romantic love in Chinese participants. Human Brain Mapping, 32(2), 249-257.
- Close Relationships
- Research and Writing in Psychology
- Social Neuroscience
- Social Psychology
Xiaomeng (Mona) Xu
Department of Psychology
Idaho State University
921 South 8th Avenue, Stop 8112
Pocatello, ID 83209
- Phone: (208) 282-3541
- Fax: (208) 282-4832