My research focuses on close relationships (especially romantic relationships), behavioral health (especially weight control, smoking, and physical activity), and neuroimaging (particularly fMRI). I conduct basic research in each of these areas as well as more applied research in the overlaps. For example, I conduct applied close relationships research on how self-expansion (both at the social and individual level) and other social processes affect overall health and health behaviors.
I am also interested in these areas in the context of individual differences (e.g. factors such as trait self-control) as well as development over time (e.g. aging, as a romantic relationship progresses).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
- Leahey, T.M., Subak, L., Fava, J., Schembri, M., Thomas, G., Xu, X., Krupel, K., Kent, K., Boguszewski, K., Kumar, R., Weinberg, B., & Wing, R.R. (in press). Benefits of adding small financial incentives or optional group meetings to a web-based statewide obesity initiative. Obesity.
- Xu, X., Wang, J., Lei, W., Aron, A., Westmaas, L., & Weng, X. (2012). Intense passionate love attenuates cigarette cue-reactivity in nicotine-deprived smokers: An fMRI study. PLoS ONE, 7(7), e42235. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042235
- Xu, X., Jerskey, B., Cote, D., Walsh, E., Hassenstab, J., Ladino, M., Clark, U.S., Labbe, D., Gunstad, J., Poppas, A., Cohen, R., Hoge, R., Sweet, L.H. (2014). Cerebrovascular perfusion among older adults is moderated by strength training and gender. Neuroscience Letters, 560, 26-30. PMID: 24355360 PMC3920729
- Xu, X., Floyd, A. H. L., Westmaas, J. L., & Aron, A. (2010). Self-expansion and smoking abstinence. Addictive Behaviors, 35, 295-301.
- Xu, X., Aron, A., Brown, L., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2011). Reward and motivation systems: A brain mapping study of early-stage intense romantic love in Chinese participants. Human Brain Mapping, 32(2), 249-257.
- Leahey, T.M., Xu, X., Unick, J.L., & Wing, R.R. (2013). A preliminary investigation of the role of self-control in behavioral weight loss treatment. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice, 8(2), e149-e153. PMID24743010 PMC3992479
- Xu, X., Demos, K.E., Leahey, T.M., Hart, C., Trautvetter, J., Coward, P., Middleton, K., & Wing, R.R. (in press). Failure to replicate depletion of self-control. PLoS ONE.
- Xu, X., Clark, U.S., David, S.P., Mulligan, R.C., Knopik, V.S., McGeary, J., MacKillop, J., McCaffery, J., Niaura, R., & Sweet, L.H. (2014). The effects of nicotine deprivation and replacement on BOLD-fMRI response to smoking cues as a function of DRD4 VNTR genotype. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 16(7), 939-947. PMID: 24659022 PMC4072897
- Xu, X., Brown, L., Aron, A., Acevedo, B., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2012). Regional brain activity during early-stage intense romantic love predicted relationship outcomes after 40 months: An fMRI assessment. Neuroscience Letters, 526, 33-38.
- Xu, X., Aron, A., Westmaas, J.L., Wang, J., & Sweet, L.H. (2014). An fMRI study of nicotine-deprived smokers' reactivity to smoking cues during novel/exciting activity. PLoS ONE 9(4): e94598.
- Riela, S., Rodriguez, G., Aron, A., Xu, X., & Acevedo, B. P. (2010). Experiences of falling in love: Investigating culture, ethnicity, gender, and speed. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 27(4), 473-493.
- Jagiellowicz, J., Xu, X., Aron, A., Aron, E., Cao, G., Feng, T., & Weng, X. (2010). The trait of sensory processing sensitivity and neural responses to changes in visual scenes. SCAN: Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience. Advanced online publication.
- Darlow, S. D., & Xu, X. (2011). The influence of close others’ exercise habits and perceived social support on exercise. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12, 575-578.
- Alosco, M.L., Gunstad, J., Xu, X., Clark, U.S., Labbe, D., Riskin-Jones, H., Terrero, G., Schwarz, N.F., Walsh, E., Poppas, A., Cohen, R.A., & Sweet, L.H. (2014). The impact of hypertension on cerebral perfusion and cortical thickness in older adults. Journal of the American Society for Hypertension, 8, 561-70. doi:10.1016/j.jash.2014.04.002 PMID: 25151318 PMC4143798
- Alosco, M.L., Gunstad, J., Jerskey, B.A., Xu, X., Clark, U.S., Hassenstab, J., Cote, D.M., Walsh, E., Labbe, D., Hoge, R., Cohen, R.A., & Sweet, L.H. (2013). The adverse effects of reduced cerebral perfusion on cognition and brain structure in older adults with cardiovascular disease. Brain and Behavior, 3(6), 626-636. doi:10.1002/brb3.171 PMID: 24363966 PMC3868168
- Alosco, M.L., Gunstad, J., Jerskey, B.A., Clark, U.S., Hassenstab, J.J., Xu, X., Poppas, A., Cohen, R.A., & Sweet, L.H. (2013). Left atrial size is independently associated with cognitive function. International Journal of Neuroscience, 123(8), 544-552. PMID: 23394115 NIHMSID #626564
- Alosco, M.L., Gunstad, J., Beard, C., Xu, X., Clark, U.S., Labbe, D., Jerskey, B.A., Ladino, M., Cote, D., Walsh, E., Poppas, A., Cohen, R.A., & Sweet, L.H. (2014). The synergistic effects of anxiety and cerebral hypoperfusion on cognitive dysfunction in older adults with cardiovascular disease. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. Epub ahead of print pi: 0891988714541871. PMID: 25009160 NIHMSID #626563
- Close Relationships
- Professional Writing and Development
- Research and Writing in Psychology
- Social Neuroscience
- Social Psychology
Xiaomeng (Mona) Xu
Department of Psychology
Idaho State University
921 South 8th Avenue, Stop 8112
Pocatello, Idaho 83209
- Phone: (208) 282-3541
- Fax: (208) 282-4832